BridgeWay 2.0 J1939 Gateway to Modbus Interface
The BridgeWay 2.0 J1939 to Modbus Interface (p/n BW2031) enables a Modbus RTU Master PLC, HMI or other compatible device to perform monitoring and control on an SAE J1939 (CAN) network.
The BW2031 can immediately expand the features and capabilities of your products and systems by enabling:
- Access to J1939 data for real-time monitoring/viewing from:
- Any other devices that transmit J1939 PGN messages (including DM1 and DM2 diagnostic messages)
- Transmission of J1939 PGN messages to:
- Control engine speed or select a transmission gear
- Command actuators and sensors
- Control I/O
- Simulate a device/ECU
- Command/control other devices/systems that support SAE J1939
- Configurable so the user can specify which J1939 PGN messages the module should transmit or receive
- Modbus RTU support for 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200 baud rates
- Supports SAE J1939 vehicle protocol and Modbus RTU (Slave) industrial automation protocol
- Works with Modbus RTU Master PLCs, HMIs and other devices
- Configuration via free Windows-based software tool (BWConfig 2.0) – save, edit and load configurations
- Uses standard USB cable for configuration (USB to micro-USB)
- Supports Flash field upgrades
- LED network and module status indicators
- Includes DIN rail mount
- Brand label/OEM options
- Dimensions: 110 x 35 x 101 mm / 4.33 x 1.38 x 3.98 in
- Operating voltage: 7 – 40 VDC
- Operating temperature: -25°C – 70°C
- Current requirements: 300mA at 24 VDC
- Mechanical rating: IP20 NEMA rating 1
- Approximate weight: 184g
- UL certification: UL 61010-1 and UL 61010-2-201
- ATEX certification: EN 60079-0 and EN 60079-15
- CE certification: EN 61000-6-2 and EN 61000-6-4
BW2031 Migration Wire Harness (Part No. BW2031-MH)
- Allows direct connection to existing BridgeWay 1.0 (AB7606) device
- Plug the existing 15 pin D-sub connector into the migration harness, import your AB7606 configuration file, download it and you are up-and-running in minutes
CANable Lite – PGN Monitor Package (Part No. CANable Lite)
This quick and easy PC-based software tool is used to view PGN messages on a J1939 (CAN) network which is critical for integrating or troubleshooting an installation. The CANable Lite package includes:
- USB to CAN adapter
- CANable Lite PC/Windows software
- User manual
Used to test Modbus Master connectivity and data mapping without using a PLC/HMI, etc. This tool is critical for integrating or troubleshooting an installation. The simulator includes:
- USB to RS485 Adapter
- MasterSim Lite PC/Windows Software
- User manual
Commonly Asked Questions
How can I purchase a BW2031?
What is included with the device?
When you purchase a BW2031 device, it will come prepackaged with a 3 pin Phoenix connector for power and a 6 pin mini-Phoenix connector to connect your J1939 network to a Modbus RTU network. In addition, each purchase comes with a free license of our configuration tool, BWConfig 2.0, to help you get up and running fast, and a detailed user manual to help you every step of the way.
What protocols are supported by the BW2031 gateway?
- J1939 (125k, 250k and 500k)
- Modbus RTU Slave (RS-485 2-wire 4800 to 115200 baud)
What is required, but NOT included?
- A properly-wired and terminated J1939 network
- A properly-wired and terminated Modbus RTU (RS485 2 wire) network
- A Modbus RTU Master device (PLC, HMI, etc.)
- Proper 24 VDC power
- A PC or laptop to run the BWConfig 2.0 tool
- A Micro USB to USB cable to connect a PC-running BWConfig2.0 to the BridgeWay 2.0
Can I use one BW2031 to read/write PGN messages on two or more J1939 engine networks?
No. To do this, it would require that you connect the networks together physically. Engine control systems are generally designed as self-contained J1939 networks and the CAN addresses (e.g. Address 0 for the engine ECU) would collide with the ECU address for another engine network if they were tied together. You may also run into termination and network trunk/drop length issues.
To achieve this, one BW2031 module would be required for each J1939 engine network. The BW2031 can then have the same J1939 (CAN) address on each individual J1939 network but the host (Ethernet, Modbus RTU or PROFIBUS) address will have to be unique for each gateway if using a single PLC to read and write data.
Can the device poll other Modbus RTU Slaves?
What J1939 PGN messages does the BW2031 support?
The BW2031 supports all standard SAE PGN messages, proprietary range PGNs and DM1 and DM2. You configure the BW2031 for the input and output PGNs/SPNs you need for your application. Our BWConfig 2.0 configuration tool helps you accomplish this. The BW2031 is not OEM-specific — it is J1939 specific.